In addition to the flooring options presented in our collections, Vintage
Lumber also supplies decorative /structural beams and mantels. Beams,
when not reclaimed to be repurposed as part of our Vintage Collection
flooring, can be used to add drama or a touch of warmth to any room. Vintage
Lumber Beams are available in the following species: Oak, Fir, Yellow
Pine, White Pine, Hickory, Ash, and other less common species. Eighty
percent of the beams sold by Vintage Lumber are Oak timbers recovered
from old barns and industrial buildings. The beams reserved for sale as
decorative timbers are mostly "Hand Hewn 4 and 2 Sided" timbers
of various sizes. These timbers are selected for the following criteria:
Integrity-minimum of mortice holes (holes originally cut for mortice and
- Absence of fractures, and minimum of deterioration (rot, insect damage)
- Girth (width and height)-smaller beams (3'' x 8'', 4''
x 6'', 6' 'x 6 '', 5' 'x 7'',
etc. up to 8' 'x 8'') are generally more well suited for
residential room applications in ceilings up to 9'.
- Larger timbers up to 12' 'x 14'' are usually available.
- Length-most applications require timbers at least 10' long. We inventory
timbers up to 40'long.
- Vintage Lumber offers several services to customize and protect your beams:
- Saw milling one face to cut beams to give a flat surface for attaching
the timbers to drywall or plaster surfaces.
- We have both band saw and circle saw to accommodate specific desired texture
finishes on beams that are to be exposed on all sides.
- BoarCare Treatment to assure that all active and dormant insects are eliminated.
- Water blasting to remove accumulated dust, whitewash, and paint. This process
leaves the beauty of the original hand carved surface without removing
the gray to brown patina acquired from years of exposure to the atmosphere.
Vintage Lumber also offers traditional stair components which add style
and character to any home. Our stair parts, risers, treads and nosings,
are custom crafted in the species of our flooring.
The following are the general specifications for our stair parts:
- Treads – 1'' thick x 11.5" wide x Length Required.
- Risers - 7.5" wide x Length Required
- Nosings - 3.5" or 5.5" wide x Length Required
- Shoe Molding - 3/4" x Length Required
Vintage Lumber takes great pride in the Ornamental Beams/Mantels and Stair
Parts we provide and we encourage you to inquire regarding your specific
requirements. Over the past 25 years our timbers and stair parts have
been used in various exciting applications including decorative ceiling
and wall treatments, post and beam construction, restoration and repair,
antique log cabin construction and restoration, fireplace mantles, and
window/door surrounds. Our years of experience in both construction and
deconstruction of antique buildings allows us to offer you the best of
materials, advice, and service.